The Zuckerman Institute seeks a talented and creative individual who possesses a passion for event production as it relates to programmatic, scientific, development and internal events in support of the overall goals of the institute. This role offers the opportunity to learn and develop event production, science communication and public engagement skills through experience.
Reporting to the Senior Director of Administrative Services, the Production Specialist will work across interdisciplinary programs to produce crossover programs that combine science, technology, engineering and mathematics (STEM) with the arts, development and other fields. The role will primarily involve designing programs, engaging with scientists, coaching scientists to communicate with general audiences, creative production and working across teams (Development, Public Programs, Scientific Programs and Human Resources) to create engaging programs. A key aspect of this work is the ability to partner and collaborate with internal departments, offices across Columbia and organizations outside of the University to create mutually beneficial programming.
• Partners with the Directors of Development, Scientific Programs and Public Programs to design high quality interdisciplinary programs.
• Engages with scientists to collaborate on projects across all levels e.g. faculty, medical professionals and trainees to produce programs that communicate their science to a general audience.
• Works closely with the Development team to align programming with stakeholder needs.
• Oversees programs for in-person, virtual, live, pre-recorded, or hybrid when coordinating with other internal teams to produce high-quality scientific, networking, and community building across formats and audiences.
• Identifies and implements initiatives to infuse diversity, equity, inclusion, accessibility, and belonging into programs.
• Works on other special projects in line with the long-term internal and public engagement goals of the Institute.
• Performs related duties & responsibilities as assigned/requested.
• Bachelor’s degree and/or its equivalent required. Minimum 3-5 years related experience required.
• Evening and weekend availability required.
• Strong written and oral communication skills, demonstrating a customer service mindset is essential.
• Must be able to collaborate well in a team environment and be comfortable working with diverse groups of people including members of the public.
• Must have a strong commitment to diversity, equity, inclusion and accessibility.
• Self-motivated, organized and detail-oriented is necessary.
• Ability to exercise a high degree of professionalism both presence and mindset is essential.
• Three or more years of relevant experience in science outreach or academic environment preferred.
• Demonstrated creativity and the ability to work in a complex organization is a plus.
Equal Opportunity Employer / Disability / Veteran
Columbia University is committed to the hiring of qualified local residents.
Applications open: Nov 18 2021 Eastern Standard Time