Administrative Lab Manager
The Mortimer B. Zuckerman Mind Brain Behavior Institute at Columbia University is seeking a flexible and highly motivated individual to serves as the Administrative Lab Manager for three neuroscience laboratories.
Responsibilities include administrative and research support for faculty and lab members as well as managing relationships with the Department of Neuroscience, Department of Psychiatry and other affiliated organizations.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to the following:
- Prepares IACUC/IRB Protocols for submission to the appropriate office, tracks IACUC/IRB expiration and revision dates.
- Serves as the administrative contact for AALAC inspections and EHS to ensure research compliance.
Partners with the Human Resources team to hire and train new personnel in compliance and proper laboratory protocols; assists the Human Resources team with renewals and termination of employment for lab personnel.
- Schedules regular and special meetings; oversees group communications.
- Serves as point of contact for visitors and vendors.
- Organizes and manages print and digital records, correspondence, and other files as necessary.
Budget Development/Administration of Sponsored Projects:
- Participates in development and administration of annual and grant budgets; processes and monitors expenditures, reconciles budget reports, and forecasts project budget discrepancies.
- Oversees all purchasing and service contracts for the lab as well as compliance with any contractual obligations and manages/tracks reimbursements.
- Supports and monitors research related activities to ensure compliance with University and funding agency regulations. Maintains accurate and complete records to meet fiduciary responsibility and comply with audit requirements.
- Performs additional duties and special projects as required. Keeps track of non-competing submission dates for the investigators.
- Works with the grants management office of the Zuckerman Institute to ensure timely submission of all required documents for pre-award submissions.
Levy Fellowship Administration:
- Assists the Director of the Levy Research Fellows Program in coordinating administrative duties of the Levy Research Fellowship.
- Coordinates with the Department of Psychiatry to facilitate the application and selection process, monitor fellow expenditures, and perform other fellowship administrative duties as assigned.
- Assists with budget creation and monitoring for the Levy Fellowship Program.
Bachelor’s degree required, including at least two (2) years of related experience. Must be highly proficient with computer applications. Experience working with Word, Excel, and other database applications is essential. Strong analytical skills needed. Must be organized and detail oriented and possess financial management and budget experience.
Must have the ability to multi-task, maintain attention to detail in a busy work environment, and work independently under minimal supervision. Must be able to exercise judgment, initiative, and a high level of discretion. Must possess a strong ability to interact with tact and diplomacy. Must be able to work independently as well as collaboratively, and take a proactive approach and anticipate needs.
Prior experience working with budgets, federal grants, and/or in grants management is highly desirable. Previous experience with RASCAL, ARC, and ASSIST is preferred.